[olug] Newbie type question

Carl Lundstedt clundst at unlserve.unl.edu
Thu Aug 23 01:10:05 UTC 2007

Copying the home directories will get the user's data, what else you
might want/need off those machines depends on what else you've put on
them.  You *may* want configs out of /etc, you may need software out of
/opt you may have logs and email in /var, I don't know.

I'd bet that you just need the /home directories, but that's a bet I'm
making with your data...

I will say that this type of thing is what I love linux for.  By
carefully setting up partitions you can remove, reinstall or upgrade
OSes without touching user data.  Other operating systems seem to want
to make that pretty tough to do.

Best of luck,
Carl Lundstedt
UNL