[olug] email a binary file (uuencode no longer popular?)

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Fri Aug 17 14:30:58 UTC 2007

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, Noel Leistad wrote:
> never tried the uuencode thing, found this script which I sort of hacked
> w/ vars to suit... $1 who, $2 what

Thanks for that. Un(?)fortunately I'm legally and morally obligated to
use Perl instead of shell scripts.  :)

I just saw the "Grep Sed Question" thread from June... Stan Coleman: If
you still need Perly help you could post to our mailing list:

    Omaha Perl Mongers: http://omaha.pm.org

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, Brian Roberson wrote:
> If you have mutt:
> mutt -a file.pdf jay at jays.net < /dev/null

Ahh, thanks. mutt does happen to be on this box. Anyone else notice the
slow disappearance of default installs of pine? Am I the only uuencode +
pine user left? So alone...   -whimper-

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, Sam Tetherow wrote:
> I think yydecode has replaced uudecode at least in the usenet world. The
> "crazy kids" use the little paperclip button nowadays ;)

Huh. yydecode isn't on this box by default.

I don't know why PuTTY doesn't let me click a paperclip when I'm ssh'd
into a random Linux machine somewhere.   :(       -grin-

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007, Luke -Jr wrote:
> base64 file.pdf | ... should work

base64 isn't on this machine either...

Hmm... My favorite tools aren't in default installs anymore. Apparently
I'm a fossil. (32 tomorrow. ack! somebody put me down!)