[olug] SATA Drives

Dave Thacker dthacker9 at cox.net
Fri Aug 10 02:37:29 UTC 2007

On Thursday 09 August 2007 16:43, Curtis LaMasters wrote:
> Some of they guy's in my company complain that SATA drives are worthless
> and should NEVER be installed in a server platform.  I just wanted to know
> your take on the situation.  My personal belief is match the server specs
> to it's requirements.  Enough said.

Last fall I attended an IBM SAN school for a week. (I have a DS4000 SAN at
work).  The recommendation was "If you have large reads and writes occurring
at a low to moderate frequency, then SATA is appropriate.  If you do many
small reads and writes at a high frequency (think database) then stick with
SCSI"

DT