[olug] Business P2P file transfering

Daniel Pfile daniel at pfile.net
Tue Apr 24 22:11:12 UTC 2007

Well, first off, if you only have two clients that need the file, p2p
doesn't make much sense.

It sounds like you have a bastion server in front of the back end server
that generates the data, if not, you can probably just stop reading now.
It also sounds like there's a pull model in place.

Anyway, I have a script that may help:

http://pfile.net/autoproxy.sh.txt

I wrote it for getting into servers that only allow you access from the
front end server. If you combine it with rsync on your backend server,
you can have your clients run rsync over ssh through the proxy that was
automatically built.

Cool ASCII art:
client rysnc over ssh <--> <== bastion proxy ==> <--> backend server
sshd rsync

And so on. You'll need to configure ssh right, and it's much less
painless if you use keys and a keychain (or strip the passphrases). Then
it's just a matter of firing off an rsync. You may also want to restrict
what the clients can run with authorized_keys.

See also:
http://troy.jdmz.net/rsync/index.html
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/keychain/
man ssh_config, sshd, etc