[olug] Question: package / system for administrating multiple very similar systems ?

Jim O'Gorman jameso at elwood.net
Tue Apr 24 21:42:34 UTC 2007

You bring up a good point. I have been meaning to get around to throwing in
some example scripts that people could bootstrap with. I will have to make
that a priority.

As an example, here is my http install script:

bash-3.00# cat my_httpd_v1.sh
#!/bin/sh -x
PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/opt/csw/bin:/opt/csw/sbin:/usr/sfw/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/mine/apps/SUNWspro/bin

# Download the source
# Untar, configure, make, make install

cd $builddir
/usr/sfw/bin/wget -q $repbase/$repfiles/$archive
/usr/bin/gunzip -c $archive | /usr/sbin/tar xf -
rm $archive

cd  $builddir/$basedir

./configure --prefix=$installlocation --enable-so --enable-ssl
--with-ssl=$installlocation
if [ "$?" != "0" ]; then
        exit 1
fi

make
if [ "$?" != "0" ]; then
        exit 1
fi

make install
if [ "$?" != "0" ]; then
        exit 1
fi
cd ..
rm -r $builddir/$basedir

This is on Solaris, so locations etc are different. I also like to run with
a /companyname/apps /companyname/soruce etc structure as it keeps everything
clean under one tree.

Any other feedback you might have would be great. As I said, this is
something I use, so it makes a lot of sense to me. It is still up in the air
as to how well I have explained it, how accessible this is to others.

Thanks
Jim