[olug] OT: Moving Analog Video to Mac G4

Tim & Alethea Larson thelarsons3 at cox.net
Mon Apr 23 12:29:14 UTC 2007

Dave Thacker wrote:
> My son is now the owner of a Mac G4 and wants to play with iMovie (and so does
> dad).  Our video camera is an older Sony 8mm with analog out cables.  I see
> converter devices from tens of dollars to hundreds of dollars.  Does someone
> have a recommendation for a good (but not professional) quality converter?

That's the exact same situation I'm in.  I borrowed Craig's Canopus and
it did a nice job with the video.  It kept audio and video nicely synced
too, which I've read is a problem on some of the cheapo low-end devices.
  There's some buzzing in the audio that I think may have been due to
something I did on import, since no one else complains about this issue.

If you shop around, make sure it is a FIREWIRE device, not USB - iMovie
will completely ignore it if it's not Firewire input.

Tim

--
Tim & Alethea
christtrek.org