[olug] Open Source Tools

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 02:01:59 UTC 2006

On 9/27/06, Rob Townley <rob.townley at gmail.com> wrote:

> Have not used it, but according to their website, "Open Computer and
> Software Inventory Next Generation" working with the "GLPI" package will
> inventory a network of Linux, Windows, Mac OS X, Solaris, and AIX machines
> for hardware and software configuration.  The websites specifically mention
> "license management."
>

> http://ocsinventory.sourceforge.net/
> http://glpi.indepnet.org/
>
> A partial list of open source software for windows is at
> http://osswin.sourceforge.net/
>

> As for the email needs,  Zimbra  was voted the 2006 enterprise project of
> the year for enterprise email and collaboration.  On the face of it, it may
> not be what you are looking for, but it is very extensible with zimlets and
> i just wanted a chance to plug an opensource project.
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/zimbra
>
> On 9/27/06, Mike Peterson Charles <mpeterson at mail.charlesfurniture.com >
> wrote:
> >
> > Do any of you know of or use open source tools to audit your Windows
> > systems?
> >
> > I am looking for the above for a company that has been caught by the
> BSA.
> >
> > Do any of you know of or use open source tools to send out email
> newsletters
> > or reminders or notes to customers or clients?
> >
> > I am looking for the above for a company that does ebusiness.

To avoid confusion, everything software package i mentioned is open source,
but Zimbra and the following also have closed source versions.
For the email needs, a Customer Relationship Management system may be
overkill, but there are several listed on sourceforge running on Linux and
Windows.  The one i have heard the most about is SugarCRM.
http://www.sugarcrm.com/crm/products/capabilities/marketing/email.html

For the list of software awarded the sourceforge community choice awards, see
this list http://sourceforge.net/awards/cca/<http://sourceforge.net/awards/cca/>