[olug] setting up a mirror (slave?) DNS server?

Sean Kelly smkelly at zombie.org
Thu Sep 21 21:08:35 UTC 2006

On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 07:54:26PM -0500, Phil Brutsche wrote:
> Ryan Stille wrote:
> > What will happen when the primary is down, so we alias its IP on this
> > new server?  In that case the 'master' server for each zone will be
> > itself.  Might this cause problems?
>
> Since it sounds like you're trying to setup a high-availability
> environment you could use Linux-HA (http://www.linux-ha.org/), if the
> backup doesn't receive any "heartbeats" from the primary it will take
> over the primary's IP number.

I considered this (or the Red Hat Cluster Suite) as an option to suggest.
However, it didn't really make a lot of sense to me to do all that for just
DNS. DNS is designed to work in a environment where a server may be down.
Sure, it may slow down resolution slightly, but...

> You would then share (via FTP, rsync, whatever) the BIND config and zone
> files directly between the machines, with no perl line noise to mangle
> your named.conf ;)

Like I think I said before, this can get sort of hacky when you start doing
IXFRs and nsupdates. Though, really, all the solutions so far have some
level of hackishness to them. That is what makes them great!

--
Sean Kelly          | PGP KeyID: D2E5E296
smkelly at smkelly.org | http://www.smkelly.org