[olug] setting up a mirror (slave?) DNS server?

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Thu Sep 21 00:54:26 UTC 2006

Ryan Stille wrote:
> What will happen when the primary is down, so we alias its IP on this
> new server?  In that case the 'master' server for each zone will be
> itself.  Might this cause problems?

Since it sounds like you're trying to setup a high-availability
environment you could use Linux-HA (http://www.linux-ha.org/), if the
backup doesn't receive any "heartbeats" from the primary it will take
over the primary's IP number.

You would then share (via FTP, rsync, whatever) the BIND config and zone
files directly between the machines, with no perl line noise to mangle
your named.conf ;)

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us