[olug] setting up a mirror (slave?) DNS server?

Ryan Stille ryan at cfwebtools.com
Wed Sep 20 21:12:23 UTC 2006

How many zones?  Probably around 150 right now.  Adding 1-2 a month.

Yes I would like to have it up and running all the time, ready to
resolve if asked to.  If the primary goes down the plan is to alias the
IP from that server onto the new one.

I don't want to have to setup each new zone on this server, I need it to
be transparent.  If I have to I will just ftp over named.conf and all
the related zone files.  Not sure how well this will work, because I'm
sure the new server will be running a more recent version of BIND.  A
better way may be to have a perl script scan through the named.conf file
on the primary and generate a proper named.conf file to FTP to the new
server.

Related question - in looking through the BIND packages available for
install, there's a regular bind one and then a bind-chroot one.  What
the general consensus on running chrooted bind?  Always a good idea?  or
not really necessary?

-Ryan