[olug] Imaging a 20GB to a larger hard drive

Eric Lusk wyrmzr72 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 12 03:14:08 UTC 2006

You can use the "dd" command, and its variants, to do
a complete bit-for-bit copy for a drive to another
drive.  The only question is whether it will write to
an unequal-size drive and actually utilize all of the
space, or leave part of it unused.
I haven't had to try that little step yet...

--- Eric P <eric.maillist at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My system (Ubuntu 6.06) is purring along and is the
> only OS I have on my hard drive (20GB).  However, I
> have an empty
> 80GB hard drive that I'd move everything over to.
>
> Is there a way to make a complete image of my 20GB
> and put it onto the 80GB and be up and running w/o
> the fuse of
> reinstalling the OS?  BTW, I have a 3rd drive that
> could act as temporary holding space (it has ~50GB
> of space) where I
> could place the image from the 20GB hard drive.
>
> I figure the process would involve making an image
> and temporarily placing it on the drive w/~50 GB
> space, then
> installing the 80GB HD and booting a live CD.  Then
> I'd somehow copy the image onto the 80GB hard drive
> so that it has
> the same boot configuration.
>
> Is this possible and relatively painfree?
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

https://www.ericshaus.com
Alcohol and Calculus don't mix.  Never drink and derive.