[olug] MythTV, DVD Recorder OR Cable Compnay's Rentable Digital Recorder

Ryan Stille ryan at cfwebtools.com
Mon Oct 30 14:26:10 UTC 2006

Tim OBrien wrote:
> What about with Digital cable? How do you get the Digital signal channels
> into the MythTV box, when Cox will not allow anything other than the boxes
> you rent from them?
>
> Irish

You use an HDTV card that has a QAM tuner.  The local HD channels are
sent in the clear and you can pick them up.

As far as just regular digital channels, I don't know how Cox handles
this but I assume they are encrypted, since I've never been able to pick
them up on my QAM tuner.  If you find a tuner card that has a cable card
slot, you can rent a cable card from Cox and may be able to pick them up
that way.

-Ryan