[olug] FW: The next generation computer interface

Daniel Linder dan at linder.org
Mon Oct 23 19:36:26 UTC 2006

The request for a large touch display to play AirHockey or Battleship on
reminded me of something similar.

I read about a group who created a D&D table which consisted of a
projector mounted on the floor that projected up onto the back-side of a
frosted glass screen.  The display was visible through the frosted display
and didn't get shadows as people moved their hands above it.  The display
was only 1024x768, but that was enough to put up a decent resolution map
to allow the lead figurines to stand "in" the room that they were
exploring.

Since a table-sized touch screen would be quite expensive, I wonder how
hard it would be to setup a camera mounted from the ceiling directly above
the table and look for the users hands?

It wouldn't have to be exact if it could allow you to control the mouse
pointer via the tip of your finger for gross changes, and then display a
virtual touch-pad under your hand which would control the mouse precisely.
 Then the "sausage finger" problem would be mitigated a bit.

Dan

- - - -
"Wait for that wisest of all counselors, time." -- Pericles
"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac Asimov
"Soon we will be able to harness the rotational energy from Orwell's grave
to solve all world energy problems." -- /. user GigsVT (208848)
GPG fingerprint:6FFD DB94 7B96 0FD8 EADF  2EE0 B2B0 CC47 4FDE 9B68