[olug] Minicom work with Cisco Console?

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Sun Oct 22 04:03:04 UTC 2006

Charles Bird wrote:
> I've been trying to setup a few vlans at the house, I cannot get into the
> cisco5000 switch.
> I have, null modem cable, minicom@ 9600 8n1, all green lights on the
> switch meaning there is no indicated failures.
> I have cycled power a few times, reset the sup. card, looked in google for
> a total of 4 hours, and even rtfm.
> I'll be up all night working on this, if anyone has ideas, i would smile
> in response, I have no clue as to what i could try to establish
> communication with this thing. :(

You don't need a Catalyst 5000 POS^h^h^hmonster to do a few VLANs.

I use a 2912XL-EN and a 2950-12. Quieter and sucks less power ;)  Not as
many ports, but very few people need 96 10baseT ports at home ;)

In fact, I would recommend *not* to use a 5000-series. IIRC Catalyst
5000s are ISL only, the only things you'll be able to do VLANs with it
are older Cisco routers and older Cisco switches.

BTW you do *not* use null modem cables with Cisco gear.

A Catalyst 5000 needs - quite literally - a plain ol' modem cable. One
of these will work:
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=14303

And yes, minicom does work. I usually use kermit though.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us