[olug] Minicom work with Cisco Console?

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Sun Oct 22 04:03:01 UTC 2006

Dave Weis wrote:
> Are you using a baby blue rollover cable to the console port? You
> shouldn't need an actual null modem cable.

Actually, neither will work.

Catalyst 5000s don't have RJ45 console ports like most other Cisco
switches and routers do.

As per my other post, a null modem cable won't work either, the OP needs
a modem cable.

> Alternatively, put it in a big box and mail it over to me

I honestly don't think you want to do that. Catalyst 5000s suck quite
hard when compared to many other low-cost Cisco switches.  They're heavy
too, a 5505 with power, a supervisor, and a couple 12-port FE blades
weighs some 70-80 lb.  A Catalyst 4003 with a pair of WS-X4148-RJ blades
makes a better switch.

They were a good 10baseT switch back in the day, but now? No thanks.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us