[olug] FW: The next generation computer interface

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 16:52:39 UTC 2006

Couple weeks late.

Expensive screen.

Doing funky things with a touch screen is nothing new (i've done a "scratch
and sniff" porn demonstration with one), having a nice touch screen device
that can handle multiple contacts is where the fun starts.

So... basically ... expensive screen + some interesting UI toys is what I
see.

Make it workable for every day applications (or a window manager to mix with
it) and I'll show alot more interest :).  Although, typing on a verticle
screen (or reading from a horizontalish one) would kinda suck.  Maybe mix it
with dragon naturally speaking .... which, according to arstechnica.com has
come a long way and is quite usable.  Also, having to move your arms around
alot to get the movements necessary would be.... a tad annoying.

Also, one last note -- touch stuff generally requires a HUGE amount of
screen realestate due to it's fairly inaccurate nature (sausage fingers!).
For this kinda stuff to become really useful, we'll need big multi-contact
screens that are fairly cheap.

-Will