[olug] High Resource usage new install

Charles Bird cbird at mail.datar8.com
Wed Oct 18 10:15:24 UTC 2006

Hi guys n gals.

I just installed slackware 11.0 with the 2.4.33.3 kernel on a machine that
consists of an AMD barton 3000+ with 1GB ram 200GB hdd.
Install went well, nothing funny, just had to run a script to get audio
working.
KDE 3.5 is WM, runs ok...but i notice that my cpu is around 50% most the
time.. I look at top and X is using 35-50% of the cpu..gxine is using
about 13-20% cpu when decoding a 128kb mp3 stream...scrolling on a web
page is messing with the beats man.

I checked my older slack installs on other machines and top doesnt show X
using more than 5%, this is on an SMP kernel with dual 800Mhz cpus.

Things that make you go Hmmm..
Anyone know what I can do to tame down the resource usage?
Shall I recompile things and swear a little bit? Anyone know of any good
words to use? ;)

Thx in adv