[olug] Wanted: 2x128MB PC-100 Memory

Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T jeffh at dundeemt.com
Tue Oct 10 13:28:01 UTC 2006

On 10/10/06, Rob Townley <rob.townley at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/9/06, Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T <jeffh at dundeemt.com> wrote:
> > I am in the process of recycling out 5 more Edubuntu machines and I am
> > finding myself short two sticks of 128MB PC-100 memory to complete the
> > build.
> >
> > These machines were dontated by Jay of Reboot The User and they are
> > headed to an area school. (Thanks Jay!)  So if anyone can donate to
> > the cause let me know.  I'd be happy to pick them up.
> >
> > Also, if anyone is interested, I'd be happy to talk about what I've
> > been doing in this regard at the upcoming meeting.
> >

> > --
> > Jeff Hinrichs
> > Dundee Media & Technology, Inc
> > jeffh at dundeemt.com
> > 402.320.0821
> >

> Jeff, i am curious about it.  Installing some machines for kids.   I
> am trying to install the alternate version of Kubuntu 6.06 because it
> works better on systems with less than 128MB.  The normal 6.06 cd
> would crash.  May have to go back to 5.

Rob,

The target application for these machines is gcompris
(http://gcompris.net/). So my platform target is a P-II/III, 256MB,
4-10GB HD, on board video/sound, cd-rom and nic. For periphs I target
17" monitor(1024x768x24bpp), keyboard, mouse and speakers. I am using
Edubuntu (www.edubuntu.org) 6.06.  I install all available updates and
then add gnuchess.

You can get Edubuntu up and running on 128MB but it is a little more
sluggish than I like for gcompris.  For a lot of these kids it is
there first experience with a real computer so I try and keep the
experience as positive as realistically possible given the hardware
constraints.

My initial goals are:
  Give kids a positive non-windows experience
  Contribute back to the community
  Find a way to recycle computers that are no longer viable for
business but still have life in them.
  Do this strictly through donations of equipment -- no purchased parts.

None of these machines have made it in to a formal class room yet.
All of them to date have been utilized by the
after-school/extended-care programs at these schools.  The popular
method of utilization has been student to student mentoring where 7th
and 8th graders act as mentors for the younger students.  Every
program that I have worked with has had spectacularly positive
feedback from the children, both mentors and mentees.

There is a lot more but I've got to get to work now.

jeffh at dundeemt.com
402.320.0821