[olug] Apache and virtualHost

Eric P eric.maillist at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 15:28:06 UTC 2006

Hi all,

We're switching over to Subversion at work, so instead of accessing
files directly on our development server, each developer is setting up
a local environment (Apache/ColdFusion in our case).

Our development/live web servers have two domains set-up.
dev.ourdomain.com  (points to: /htdocs/www)
admin.dev.ourdomain.com  (points to: /htdocs/www/admin)

We need to mimick this set-up on our local machines.  Currently, I
have the following in Apache's http.conf:

ServerName eric.dev.ourdomain.com
<VirtualHost *>
  ServerName eric.dev.ourdomain.com
  DocumentRoot /htdocs/www
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *>
  ServerName eric.admin.dev.ourdomain.com
  DocumentRoot /htdocs/www/admin
</VirtualHost>

But going to http://eric.admin.dev.ourdomain.com, Apache still points
to /htdocs/www (not /htdocs/www/admin)

Any idea where I'm off here?

Also, here is my hosts file.
127.0.0.1       localhost
127.0.0.1       eric.dev.ourdomain.com
127.0.0.1       eric.admin.dev.ourdomain.com

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any comments.
Eric Pierce