[olug] ups recommendations

Tim OBrien IrishMASMS at OLUG.ORG
Thu Nov 2 00:32:07 UTC 2006

<quote who="Phil Brutsche">
[snipped]
> It's hard to go wrong with APC.

And I have to disagree with this statement. From my experiences, I have
found APC to easily drop the ball with their pre & post sales support.
They left me hanging on some projects I have worked on, specifically not
detailing all of the parts & such needed - and then the install came with
us holding the bag because not everything needed was on hand. Thigs
broken, seems like an easy fix? APC will usually tell you time to buy new,
and oh we have this great upgrate trade up program.... Wen in fact it
sometimes just takes a reset of the UPS, or some new batteries.

Overall, (for the most part) the equipment has been workhorses. And I know
to take my dead batteries to Battery Patrol to get new ones, because
replacement pricing from APC is _outrageous_ to say the least. MOst of my
UPSes are APCs, because I was able to score some used (and swap out the
batteries).

But when I am purchasing new, I try to get Tripp Lite, Powerware, Liebert,
or Minuteman.

I have had some Tripp Lite UPSes, and they seemed to run fine for many
years. Same with Liebert stuff I had at my old job.

--
Timothy "Irish" O'Brien