[olug] sftp vs. FTPS?

Eric Lusk wyrmzr72 at yahoo.com
Fri May 12 13:28:11 UTC 2006

Is either one, ftps or sftp, going to be inherently
more secure than the other?  I'm already running sftp,
and soon my server will be running JUST that, but if
ftps has distinct advantages, perhaps it's worth
exploring?

--- Jay Hannah <jay at jays.net> wrote:

> We have a vendor who wants us to FTPS files to them
> daily.
>
> I figured sftp and ftps were the same thing. I
> assumed they both meant "secure ftp" and that
> clients would generally be able to talk to servers.
>
> The vendor is telling me that:
> - sftp is a *nix'y thing that uses ssh.
> - FTPS is a Windowsy thing that uses SSL
> certificates.
>
> Can anyone unconfuse me? Any suggestions for a Linux
> client for FTPS?
>
> Thanks,

https://www.ericshaus.com
Alcohol and Calculus don't mix.  Never drink and derive.