[olug] DVD Camcorder and Linux

Tim & Alethea Larson thelarsons3 at cox.net
Wed Mar 29 22:59:51 UTC 2006

Robert Alan Jacobs wrote:
> Okay, so I've found myself in the market for a DVD Camcorder - I'm kind
> of rushed and I need to make a purchase decision in the next few days
> and I've only just begun looking.
>
> On the recommendation of the sales guy at NFM, I'm checking out the
> reviews and such at http://www.camcorderinfo.com.  It is here that I read:
>
> 	"Many camcorders, however, format their footage so that it
> 	cannot be directly imported onto a computer."
>
> Well...that sucks.

No kidding...  I'd imagine most people would want to import their
footage to a computer these days.  I can only imagine such a restriction
would cut into sales pretty badly!

> Anyone own a DVD camcorder that you have been able to interface
> successfully with Linux?  Basically, I want to be able to get the
> footage off the camera, *maybe* edit it (not a priority at this time)
> and then burn it to DVDs (probably DVD-R) that will play in most
> DVD players.
>
> Thanks for any help or insight....

We bought our camcorder before the digital revolution fully took over.
Those models were much more expensive, and my computer at the time
didn't have digital A/V I/O anyway, so we stuck with analog.  So now I'm
in the situation that I'll have to capture the analog output (somehow)
and hopefully be able to import it to the s/w I have.

Good luck!

Tim

--
Tim & Alethea