[olug] DVD Camcorder and Linux

Robert Alan Jacobs r.a.jacobs at cox.net
Sun Mar 26 19:42:32 UTC 2006

Daniel Linder wrote:

> I have a 5 year old Sony Handycam that uses "Digital8" tapes and
> it works well.  The taped are about $8 each and hold about 30-45
> minutes.  It has a firewire port (Sony calls it iLink I think) and I
> have used it with both Windows XP and Linux and it works well.

No firewire port here; contributes to why I find it important to be able
to pull the video off the camera, edit it if I choose to on my system,
and then burn it to DVD for distribution.

> If I were in the market today I'd look at the camcorders that write
> directly to the 3" DVDs.  I don't trust tapes over a few years
> and at least the DVD would be readable by a computer if/when the camera
> dies.

Yeah.  I'm not really interested in tapes at all (for these reasons) -
though the reviews I've read seem to indicate that the picture quality
you get from tape is much better than what you get going to mini DVDs.

Thanks for your input,

Rob