[olug] Suggestion for a PCMCIA Wireless Ethernet Card

Don Kauffman dekauff at cox.net
Mon Mar 20 16:46:08 UTC 2006

I've had mixed results with netgear wireless. My  first card was a WG511
and I had to return that because it didn't work even with ndiswrapper. I
can look up the details if anyone is interested. I then purchased a
netgear WG511T and that has performed really well. There is a gnu/Linux
driver for it and I'm using that rather than ndiswrapper.

That said, Netgear has been known to change the firmware and certain
kinds of firmware will not respond well. That's what happened to the
earlier WG511 even though it had a driver built for it in linux. I found
out that the firmware had changed over the course of making it and the
type they were using in that specific one was not at all compatible even
using ndiswrapper. I tried using ndiswrapper with it and then found out
this info. So YMMV.

Don