[olug] disk woes

gregory at r3g.net gregory at r3g.net
Tue Jun 20 23:18:52 UTC 2006

Every once in a while, I will get one or two of these messages from the 64-bit CentOS 4.3 system.
------------8< snip ------------------
The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:

Device: /dev/hda, 12 Offline uncorrectable sectors

For details see host's SYSLOG (default: /var/log/messages).

You can also use the smartctl utility for further investigation.
No additional email messages about this problem will be sent.

/var/log/messages gives much less information

Jun 20 18:00:18 smtp smartd[2176]: Device: /dev/hda, 1 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
Jun 20 18:00:18 smtp smartd[2176]: Device: /dev/hda, 12 Offline uncorrectable sectors

I don't see huge disk issues and it seems to appear three or four times per month.

Has anyone seen this before? Is it unique to CentOS? This is the first 64-bit Linux host I have ever installed, so I have no comparison.

Gregory W Zill, MBA

Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world - you had to walk into mine.    ~Casablanca