[olug] F.Y.I. - Google Earth, now available on Linux!

Daniel Linder dan at linder.org
Thu Jun 15 03:21:59 UTC 2006

On Wed, June 14, 2006 18:48, Noel Leistad wrote:

> Not trying to be the one running up w/ the cold bucket of water,
but

> thought I read the Linux version was based on WINE/Crossover
voodoo.

> Loaded the Picasa for Linux on my work system the other day.
Performed

> pretty well for my immediate needs, but maybe that's WINE/Crossover

> magic too?

When I ran the Linux version of "Google Earth" it was a true
Linux binary -- none of the Win32 'artifacts' that WINE exhibits (i.e. the
file-oriented menus did not have the Windows look).

You are right that "Picasa" for Linux is just a WINE wrappered
version of the Win32 executable.  (I haven't played with
Picasa/Linux, but I do like the Picasa/Win32 version.)

Dan

- - - -

"Wait for that wisest of all counselors, time." -- Pericles

"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac
Asimov

"Soon we will be able to harness the rotational energy from Orwell's
grave to solve all world energy problems." -- /. user GigsVT
(208848)

GPG fingerprint:6FFD DB94 7B96 0FD8 EADF  2EE0 B2B0 CC47 4FDE 9B68