[olug] failed hard drive, ntfs partitioned (probably) data recovery

Tim OBrien IrishMASMS at OLUG.ORG
Sat Jul 29 18:39:17 UTC 2006

<quote who="Matthew Anderson">
> I have a friend who recently had a drive fail in a windows 2000
> desktop computer.  It was probably partitioned ntfs (he's not
> positive).  There is at least some data on there he feels it's quite
> important to recover.
>
> At present, he reports he has the drive hooked up via USB adapter to
> his power book, and is running a piece of software called "Data
> Rescue II".  So far he hasn't recovered any data (50+ hours of
> operation).
>
> What other options might he have?  Any recommendations on data
> recovery services which are both good and not OUTRAGEOUSLY
> expensive?  Other thoughts (except do backups -- I already told him
> that)?

IIRC, the F.I.R.E. bootable CD distro has some file recovery tools.

--
Timothy "Irish" O'Brien
Previous Publicity & Social activities chairperson