[olug] Slightly OT: COX digital channel numbers (mythTV users?)

Sean Kelly smkelly at zombie.org
Wed Jul 26 17:08:28 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 11:30:42AM -0500, Daniel Linder wrote:
> Someone wrote:
> >> Okay. Here's what I get:

I'm just a "Someone" now? I see how it is.

> A "friend of a friend" said that I/we should check out AVSForum.com and
> search under "COX DVR 6412" to find the right thread that talks about QAM
> channels.  There are threads for local Omaha and Lincoln.

Yes. I mentioned AVSForum a few messages back. That is where I got some of
the information about how to break/hack my DVR 6412, as well as the other
things you mention below.

> He says that just recently they posted a list of the COX Omaha QAM
> channels.  He also said that COX is looking at switching to a system that
> defines QAM channels on the fly, which will makes our work more difficult.

Right. As I understand it, it dynamically allocates channels as they are
requested. In this way, they only need to push you the channels you
actually need, thus saving them a ton of bandwidth over coax. Ars mentions
it briefly here: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060605-6985.html

Good luck tuning that on your QAM tuner.

--
Sean Kelly         | PGP KeyID: D2E5E296
smkelly at zombie.org | http://www.zombie.org