[olug] Stange bind issue

Ryan Stille ryan at cfwebtools.com
Mon Jul 24 22:32:17 UTC 2006

We have a partner who does secondary DNS for us.  Something weird has
been happening the last few months - every time we restart our name
server, the secondary server gets very slow and sometimes stops
responding completely.  Restarting bind on that server fixes the
problems.  The secondary server throws errors about zone transfer
failures after I restart the primary.  I can understand those errors
while the primary is down, but its only down for a few second but the
errors keep coming.  Bind was updated on the secondary (to 9.2.5) in an
attempt to solve the problem.

Any ideas?