[olug] Commanding java_vm to give memory back to the OS?

Cesar Delgado cdelgad2 at bigred.unl.edu
Wed Jan 25 17:20:34 UTC 2006

The java_vm only runs when you have some applet running.  Well at least
on the 3 machiens that I checked.  The java_vm is the "plug-in" version
of the full Java VM.Do you have any open Firefox window that has some
banner?  Some of the "new" banners are either flash or java so might
have an applet running that you don't know of.

One funny thing about Java is you can tell it to do garbage collection
'till you're blue in the face, but the Java standard only has
instructions to ask the VM to politely do garbage collection, but it'll
do it when it damn well pleases.  Yeah, I know, dumb.

Sorry I'm not much help,

-Cesar