[olug] Two Ubuntu related problems

Daniel Linder dan at linder.org
Tue Jan 24 14:37:56 UTC 2006

> On 1/23/06, Joe Gulizia <jrguliz at yahoo.com> wrote:

>> 2) I have problems updating Ubuntu...I get this

>> prompt "UNABLE TO GET EXCLUSIVE LOCK -- This usually

>> means that another package management application

>> system like apt-get or aptitude is already running.

>> Please close that application first."

>> Ubuntu documentation is not very straightforward (at

>> keast for me).

I'm new to the Ubuntu/Debian world, but I would expect that there is a
"lock file" laying around somewhere that wasn't cleaned up by
apt-get or other package manager.

Some Googling on "apt-get lock file" shows that
"/var/state/apt/lists/lock" might be the key.  After a
clean reboot, does that file exist?  Can you re-name it and try your
update again?

Maybe someone with a deeper knowledge of apt-get can shed some light
here.  So far my experience with Kubuntu has been pretty positive.
:)

Dan

- - - -

"Wait for that wisest of all counselors, time." -- Pericles

"I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them." -- Isaac
Asimov

GPG fingerprint:6FFD DB94 7B96 0FD8 EADF 2EE0 B2B0 CC47 4FDE 9B68