[olug] NIS / NFS permissions

Mr Scsi mrscsi at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 21:18:36 UTC 2006

Hopefully someone has a quick answer to this one, as it has become a stumper
to me.

A bit of background:

We are in the process of moving all our *nix boxes to nis as a stop gap
measure untill our aix systems can handle that new fangled ldap thing.

We are also implementing comon home directories on a linux instance on 390.
My problem is that some of our people work on *sensitive* material and store
it in their home directories.
I have restricted access to the nfs server, and set all home directories to
700, but I have some *un-cooperative* admins who keep doing:

cd /home
chmod 775 <MyHomeDir>

On the server we are exporting /home with (rw,root_squash,sync), and this
previous action leaves that users home dir readable by anyone. This is
unacceptable.

Can anyone give me a quick idea on how to Prevent the chmod? I can't just
take away chmod, as its needed for legitimate purposes. SELinux is out, (no
one wants to open that can of worms yet).....

Andy Marcus.<https://www.redhat.com/training/certification/verify/index.html?rhce_cert_display:certno=807302339005657>