[olug] iPod & DRM [was: digital rights management at work]

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 04:34:49 UTC 2006

On 1/6/06, Eric P <eric.maillist at gmail.com> wrote:
> Will Langford wrote:
> > hate to be devil's advocate, but when you purchase the music through itunes,
> > you're purchasing it through an agreement to be limited by the DRM.  when ya
> > break that agreement, fiddle sticks on you.
> >
> > -Will
> >

> 100% agreed.
>
> Isn't one of the prominent reasons we on this list use Linux (and
> friends) is so we aren't entangled by exactly these types (DRM in
> this example) of restriction in our lives?
>
> Although our mass media would have you believe differently, there
> are alternatives to iTunes/iPod.
>
> Eric P.

Which service would you recommend?  Real?  I know there are others,
but advertising has blocked all the others out of my mind.
Advertisers really tick me off ... they get in my head and change my
whole view of the world.  FYI, i just met a girl in Istanbul who
worked in advertising in NYC.  I asked her what was the number #2 city
for advertising - she replied Omaha.

If the solution is to burn the mp3s to cd .... is there a virtual CD
burner that would allow you to burn the audio cd without actually
using a CD?  Would allow you to convert hundreds of mp3 files to one
big huge virtual audio cd at one time without having to be physically
at the computer?  i haven't burned an audio cd  ..... but doesn't the
mkiso part of the burn process allow you to do this?  A simple yes/no
answer suffices, just want to know if i am on the right track.