[olug] Backups??

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 23:31:36 UTC 2006

There was a mention of a boxi / box backup a few months ago.  It comprises
of a linuxy server and then clients that run on the target systems.

http://www.fluffy.co.uk/boxbackup/

I have yet to play with this, but all of my data still fits on a CDR so the
dvd burner I bought is still doing nothing... and I lack a need for such a
system at home.  I've discussed attempting a boxi system here at work, but
that'd involve alot of work and would require the backup-dude to know linux.

Then there are some NAS storage options.

Lastly, boxi with the 'boxi server' running in a tiny microatx case with
some mirror'd sata drives might be an interesting solution.  NAS-like, but
with the power of boxi.

As far as backups, I'd suggestion /etc and /home as a general starter.  /etc
is useful if you make any system level changes and don't wanna have to
re-figure them out, and /home... well.. duh.  If you can bring yourself to
using a more structured directory tree, an "ImportantStuff/" might be all
you need rather than /home.

Also, as a side note.  Backing up /etc and /home are security risks.  SSH
keys, etc.

-Will