[olug] Fast Food Linux in NEBRASKA (for those who don't digg the digg)

Christopher R. White cwhite99 at charter.net
Tue Feb 28 21:27:32 UTC 2006

Brandon Lederer wrote:
> "I had burned 20 copies of Ubuntu 5.10 and light scribed them with the ubuntu
> cd cover.
>
> I took 10 of them in with me to McDonalds and asked if I could just set them
> on the side so people who are interested in Linux can pick up a copy.
>
> The Manager at first didn't know what this was. So I took a live CD out of my
> car and showed him on "HIS" laptop. I impressed him by showing all the cool
> default features. He then agreed and let me put the stand on the counter with
> a distription layout and the CDs to pick up.
>
> Today, I went in (this is the very next day) I went in there to see how many
> were taken. They were all gone and some people asked the Manager if they had
> more, 6 people returned to get a second copy for their friends. I burned more
> and then put up 30 copies on it today.
>
> I will be in there in the morning to see how many were picked up."
> Full thread Here:
> http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=136176

Ubuntu has a deal with Shipit to offer completely free pressed cds of
all major versions of their distro (ppc, x86 and x64).  You can order as
many as you may like completely free, no cost at all!  They ship both
the live cd and the install cd in a nice cardboard envelope.  I've
convinced the local pc store here in Kearney to agree to offer these cds
on the couter, and they give out about 40 a month!  They're even
considering using the "OEM preload" option of Ubuntu 5.10 to preload PCs
with Linux as opposed to MS Windows.  If you're interested, the link to
signup is on ubuntu's main page titled "Shipit - Free CDs"!

Chris from Kearney