[olug] Backups??

Hurley Rod RHurley at TMVGAS.COM
Mon Feb 27 22:45:28 UTC 2006

I use TSM Tivoli Storage Manager.  Not open source, but very kind to
AIX, Linux, Unix, Windoze, MAC, etc.  You can even use it with removable
drives as well.  IBM offers it and as I said, not free, but I think well
worth the price.

Rod Hurley

-----Original Message-----
From: olug-bounces at olug.org [mailto:olug-bounces at olug.org] On Behalf Of
Matt Anderson
Sent: Monday, February 27, 2006 4:41 PM
To: Omaha Linux User Group
Subject: Re: [olug] Backups??

When last my 'life' was stored on a desktop Linux machine (a few
years back), I had an external USB drive which I backed up onto
nightly via cron using rdiff-backup (http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-
backup/).  rdiff-backup stores reverse diffs each time it detects a
change in a file, so not only do you have a current copy of all your
files backed up, you can revert to any previous version that rdiff-
backup had a hold of -- kind of like having all files in CVS.

Now, I'm using (a patched version of, as stock OS X 10.4 version is
broken) rsync to backup my PowerBook onto a firewire drive.  It
*would* be a cron job, if it wasn't a laptop not normally hooked up
to the firewire disks.  As it is, I plug in and run a backup when I
think of it.  I may redeploy rdiff-backup at some point.

--
  Matt Anderson