[olug] project management tools on Linux?

Jeff Hinrichs JeffH at delasco.com
Fri Feb 17 20:18:58 UTC 2006

   My next big step is project management. We've got a guy now who will
use Microsoft project for small stuff but I really want to nip that in
the bud, as over half of the people involved in this stuff are Mac
users.

   Is there a good open source project management system?
-------

Depending on your needs.  There is ganttproject,
http://ganttproject.sourceforge.net/ a java based project manager.  It
can read M$-Project files (so it says, I haven't tried importing them
myself)  I've used it before on a fairly large project, multiple people,
multiple months.  I didn't like it.  However, lots of people do.  My
biggest problem is that I'm not a PM by training.

My current favorite is faces, http://faces.homeip.net/ --  This is a
project manager for the Dilbert in you.  I really like it because I grok
it.  You don't draw, you code your project.
http://faces.homeip.net/doc/first2.html
If you are a programmer, I think you'll like it.  It can handle
resources and vacation more smoothly than anything I've ever seen, and
you get revision control, because your project is a python source file.
Just put it under revision control et voila!

Both are multi-platform.

-Jeff