[olug] Help a small NPO

Christopher R. White cwhite99 at charter.net
Thu Feb 16 08:30:26 UTC 2006

Help me Help me!

Don't you love emails that start this way?  Seriously though, I am in
dire need of some help designing a lightweight Linux system to replace
my company's dying Win 2k PDC server.  I have found a new (used of
course) box with a dual processor board (PIII 550) and 512 MB RAM w/ a
20 gig main drive and 6 - 4 gig scsi drives setup as a level 5 raid
(currently mapped to /home) - it's an old gateway server that was
donated - we're a very POOR non-profit org.

I know enough about Linux to be VERY DANGEROUS, but am always looking to
learn more.  I've read through the Samba 3.x admin guide and honestly
didn't understand much of what I read, but in my typical fashion, I
plunged ahead anywayz.  I've got this machine setup currently using
ClarkConnect 3.2r1 and have it (I think) running as a primary domain
controller, but whenever I attempt to add a machine to the domain, I get
an error stating that there was a problem authenticating due to a
conflict of credentials (researched this, but came away with more
confusion than answers).

This machine ideally would replace an older PII Win 2k server currently
acting as a primary domain controller and hosting roaming profiles which
I inherited when I became the "Computer Guy" and a SmoothWall router
that just burns away power we don't need to burn - the latter is not a
requirement though.  If ANYBODY has any experience with these types of
setups, or is interested in helping me to learn more to accomplish this
goal, I would be GREATLY appreciated and will buy you a nice steak
dinner (or your preference) at your restaurant of choice.  Wish I could
offer more, but I'm on VERY limited budget.

Chris from Kearney - remember me from the July installfest?