[olug] Distro Thoughts

Joe Gulizia jrguliz at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 15 12:23:57 UTC 2006

I've used SUSE 9.1 and 9.3 Professional before BUT
found adding RPMs (and MAINLY their dependencies) to
be a pain.

I've been using Ubuntu and Kubuntu 5.10 but can't
access floppies or other external media (hard drives).
I'd stay with Kubuntu if all users could access the
drives and I could get media players to work in it.
(See other post "Re:  Kubuntu and accessing floppy and
external drives" posted on February 14, 2006).

I tried DSL Linux and liked some aspects of that....

I especially like the apt-get or synaptic way of
getting packages and also getting their dependent
libraries, etc.

I use the machine for personal and some business (and
business requires a media player like VLC or MPlayer
to view downloaded MP4's).

My son needs the machine to do homework and save to
floppy and other drives.

I don't have time or experience to mess with compiling
Gentoo.

What distro would work best (in your opinion NO wars
please) for me?

Joe Gulizia