[olug] local groups and Active Directory

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Fri Dec 29 01:39:11 UTC 2006

The LDAP NSS module will only work if you're using Microsoft's Services
for UNIX on your domain controller(s) to provide the RFC2307 schema that
the LDAP NSS module expects.

You need to set it up to use the winbind NSS module like so:

passwd:         compat winbind
group:          compat winbind
shadow:         compat

hosts:          files dns
networks:       files

protocols:      db files
services:       db files
ethers:         db files
rpc:            db files

netgroup:       nis

Your AD users and groups will then be available on your Linux machine.
You can verify their existence with "getent group" and "getent passwd".

You also need to have winbindd running.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us