[olug] TrixBox 1hr?? heres Gilligan's Island issue

Charles Bird cbird at mail.datar8.com
Mon Dec 4 18:48:20 UTC 2006

> On Sunday 03 December 2006 03:39, Charles Bird wrote:
>> Still a few small issues but nothing big like i thought.
>> I promise not to write emails  in a schitzo way in the middle of the
>> night anymore. :)
>
> Congrats, too.
>
> Which ISP are you using? QWest, Cox, etc?  How are the phone calls during
> different times of the day?  Does your box have a POTS port too, or is
> this VoIP only?  If no POTS port, are you using a headset or speakers/mic?
>
> I'm hoping to set one up for my home/office so I don't have to tie up the
> family phone line while working.
>
> Dan

I am just using sip with headphones and old gateway mic, very poor mic,
from  97'.
Ekiga is the softphone I am using.
I have two Cox 10/1Mb connections and as long as I dont have outgoing
traffic in excess of 450Kb, there is very little lag for the most part.
Pings to almost anything on a good leased line in N America is usually
50-85ms, LYSE and Cohem in Finland and Sweden is usually around 120-170ms
which i think is really good for being on the other side of the planet.

I have a DID in the Detroit area code, I thought about Washington DC just
so it would look cool, but then I realised I can change caller ID info
fairly quickly.  "Dr.Who" from number 0110101010 heeheehe. :)
I went through www.didww.com for the did, they seem ok. I might give
another provider a spin soon for my 402 area code DID.

I dont know how performance is with qwest, I have been wanting to try them
out for a long time.
I am ordering a grandstream phone pretty soon, looks like thats what I
really want at home. I'm looking for a cheap wifi phone too.

The only advice I have for setting up a trix box is:
Just a lil bit of caffine, dont get rid of regular phone at first, follow
the instructions and be patient.
There is a chance that u can have it going in an hour, I didnt though.