[olug] Forcing cron.daily to run

Christopher Cashell topher-olug at zyp.org
Wed Aug 9 01:11:44 UTC 2006

At Tue, 08 Aug 06, Unidentified Flying Banana dthacker9 at cox.net, said:
> > # run-parts /path/to/cron.daily
>
> omares-uswqa:/etc/sysconfig # run-parts /etc/cron.daily
> -bash: run-parts: command not found
> omares-uswqa:/etc/sysconfig # locate run-parts
> omares-uswqa:/etc/sysconfig #
>
> Hmmm. This is a vixie cron, but suse apparently doesn't implement run-parts.

bash#  (cd /etc/cron.daily; for foo in * ; do ./$foo ; done )

Just check to make sure that there aren't any scrips in /etc/cron.daily
that you don't want run.  And include the parens.

Alternately, something like:

bash# find /etc/cron.daily/ -perm /g+x \! -name "*~" \! -name "*.bad" -exec '{}' \;

Would allow you to add exclusions for certain types of files (in the
example, those with a tilde appended to the name, or with a .bad
suffix).

Either one of these should work for you.  As a last resort, you can
manually enter the directory and type each command there one by one to
execute them.