[olug] How's Running a Linux Desktop at Work?

Mr Scsi mrscsi at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 15:16:20 UTC 2006

On 7/31/06, Aaron Grothe <ajgrothe at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hey All,
>
> I've been curious about this for a while.  How many people are running a
> LInux desktop at work?  My primary workstation at work is running Linux
> (with a Citrix session to handle exchange).  Actually this is my only work
> desktop as my Windows box needs to be reimaged again.
>

> Q) If you have multiple machines which is the primary?
> A) Both of my machines are equal in usage, but the linux box is used
> mostly to build rpms, so I try to keep it pristine.
>
> Q) Are you actually allowed to run Linux on your desktop or are you
> running "under the radar"?
> A) Allowed. Company supplied machine with support license on it for RHEL
> 4.
>
> Q) Did you install Linux or did come that way from your tech group?
> A) well I am the 'tech group' so take your pick.
>
> Q) Are you encouraged, allowed or just tolerated?
> A) encouraged, the company is very interested in how to use foss to cut
> costs (MS, IBM etc...)
>
> Q) How many people have you been able to convert?
> A) No desktop conversions (yet) but with the promise of a native linux
> notes client, the excitement is high with mgmt to put 'trench' workstations
> on linux.
>
> Q) What are you running?
> A) Not to start a distro war, but we spent 2 years evaluating distros and
> the pros/cons of each in an enterprise setting.

Redhat came out on top edging out suse on the support side. I didn't have a
choice, a support contract was mandatory. Being an insurance co and all a
warm fuzzy is most important. My RHCE did NOT play a part in distro choice,
I like to keep an open mind. We have Suse in the wings just in case a vendor
requires that. We are up to ~100 servers now.

Q) What has been the biggest challenge in going to Linux?
> A) FUD, and culture.
>
> Q) Thing that most suprises people about your desktop?
> A) they start off with the typical "..but linux can't do <insert
> application function here>". So I have to show them that it can.

Andy