[olug] How's Running a Linux Desktop at Work?

Irv Cobb irvcobb at twocobbs.net
Tue Aug 1 13:39:59 UTC 2006

Q) If you have multiple machines which is the primary?
A) The Linux box. Windows machines run a couple of specialized apps.

 Q) Are you actually allowed to run Linux on your desktop or are you
running "under the radar"?
 A) Allowed. Whenever I ask myself if it's OK, I answer, "Yes."  ;-)

 Q) Did you install Linux or did come that way from your tech group?
 A) I did the installation. Again and again and again until I got it right.

 Q) Are you encouraged, allowed or just tolerated?
 A) Allowed.

 Q) How many people have you been able to convert?
 A) No one.

 Q) What are you running?
 A) Mepis 6, NASlite

 Q) What has been the biggest challenge in going to Linux?
 A) Initially, it was not breaking the system constantly as I came to
understand it. Dual boot and OOo working in both environments saved my
life quite a few times. Since then the challenge continues to be
broadening my knowledge sufficiently to meet my demands/needs.

 Q) Thing that most surprises people about your desktop?
 A) That there's something besides Windows.

Irv