[olug] How's Running a Linux Desktop at Work?

Tim OBrien IrishMASMS at OLUG.ORG
Tue Aug 1 09:58:57 UTC 2006

 Q) If you have multiple machines which is the primary?
 A) the Linux box for most applications, The XP box for Outlook & a
specific email address; but the XP boxes are supposed to go away in the
future

 Q) Are you actually allowed to run Linux on your desktop or are you
running "under
the radar"?
 A) standard issue

 Q) Did you install Linux or did come that way from your tech group?
 A) From the engineering folk.

 Q) Are you encouraged, allowed or just tolerated?
 A)  encouraged, though they have all the boxes locked down – I can't even
change the wallpaper or screen saver. :(

 Q) How many people have you been able to convert?
 A) All around here are geeks, many run Linux or BSD at home

 Q) What are you running?
 A) Red Hat Enterprise here at work

 Q) What has been the biggest challenge in going to Linux?
 A) Evolution stinks, our main application stinks, and just my rusty
command line usage

 Q) Thing that most surprises people about your desktop?
 A) that the engineers have the systems locked down

--
Timothy "Irish" O'Brien
Previous Publicity & Social activities chairperson