[olug] Article: Linux Snobs: Real Barriers to Entry

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 16:27:20 UTC 2006

On 4/20/06, Daniel Pfile <daniel at pfile.net> wrote:

> Tim OBrien wrote:
> > Just remember where we were when we first started, and do not just give
> > the user the asnwer but give them guidance on how to find the answer.
>
> Well, one person having a bad experience with one sect of one group of a
> loosely organized group of people who don't answer to each other at all
> isn't really that huge of an issue. You never hear about the good stuff.
> I went on irc last week to ask a question about twiki, I had an answer
> in like 2 minutes. I didn't feel a need to write a huge blog entry about
> it and post it to slashdot. Just look at the olug list, 95% of the time
> everything works out fine if you ask for help here.
>
> -- Daniel

... Hehehe... yet another reason I've always hated blogs. It's all about
MMMMMMmmmMmMMmMMMEEeeEEEeEEEeeeE!!!%@(*!&@#()*&!

Sorry...

I've had lots of fruitful experiences in getting some help from newsgroups,
mailing lists, and irc.  The negative ones tend to be stingers... and if
you're near wit's end on a problem, it can be enough to turn ya away from it
completely.  Perhaps all public-driven projects should have a disclaimer
noting that other people might be having a bad day, too.... and a reminder
that they're not being paid at all to be overly polite like tech support
would be.

-Will