[olug] Help me select a distrob

Eric Lusk wyrmzr72 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 20 01:11:35 UTC 2006

I've been looking for another full distro to
experiment with, just to have on my workstation.  I
haven't used RedHat/Fedora since version 8.?, I think,
and have kept with Mandrake/Mandriva because of the
tools they have had for years, much of it just quick
Xwin stuff to get things configured, which you can (of
course) tweak to your liking at the CLI.
I've kind of been looking at a different distro, for
the sake of saying I've been there and done that, so
will have to check that one out....
My workstation needs some variety anyway :)

--- Mario Steele <eumario at trilake.net> wrote:

> Hey All,
>
> Just want to say, I'm back to watching the list a
> bit more activly, since I
> got myself a job, and such.  Anyways, noticed that
> the subject kinda went
> off into Left Field here, so I'll kinda track it
> back to the original
> Poster. FC and Mandrivia are both good distros, they
> both have their
> strengths, and their weaknesses, just as with any
> Linux distro out there
> you'll find.  But, I'm the kind of guy that likes
> the ideal of "Try before
> you Buy"  or in this case, "Try before you Install"
> Cause, nothing is worse
> then getting all the hype of how this is such a good
> product, and you go to
> install it onto your computer, and it messes up the
> install, isn't as great
> as you thought it was, or was lead to belive, for
> your own personal
> preferences, and other such things like that.
>
> This is where I bring my distro of Choice for thoes
> who are looking to Try
> before you Install.  PCLinuxOS.  It's a Branch off
> of Mandrake (Not
> Mandrivia) 8.0 or so.  The Maintainer of the Distro,
> Texstar, has been a
> major Supporter of Mandrake, creating a large
> repository of RPM's and such
> for Mandrake.  He split this off, and created his
> own Linux Distro.  Texstar
> took the LiveCD Project, and gave it a proper place
> with PCLinuxOS, which
> allows you to fully run a Linux Graphical Desktop
> right from the CD.  Which
> is an absolute best idea to come along.  It's
> similar to how Gentoo does
> their LiveCD, except, PCLinuxOS includes KDE, or
> Gnome (Whichever you want
> to choose), and allows you to even mount a USB
> Thumbnail Hard Drive, to
> mount as your home directory, so you can litterally
> use your OS of Choice on
> any computer, with USB Capability, to have your home
> drive go with you.
>
> Ofcourse, there are some weaknesses, because it's
> not even a full version
> (Current version is Preview .92), but don't let that
> fool ya.  It's packed
> by default with all the 3rd Party Software Packages
> like MPlayer, Media
> Codecs for playing just about any possible Media
> File currently available,
> as well as Several Internet Software Suites,
> Mozilla, Konqueror, gAIM,
> Kompose, Thunderbird, and also includes Office
> Software OpenOffice.  This is
> just a small sampling of what is available.  If your
> new to linux, and want
> to keep your Windows Installation, while still being
> able to explore Linux,
> this would be what I would suggest, and if your
> looking to convert fully
> over to Linux, I would also suggest PCLinuxOS, cause
> it does make an
> excellent distro for installation.  (It comes with
> [...]

https://www.ericshaus.com
Alcohol and Calculus don't mix.  Never drink and derive.