[olug] is it just me?

Neal Rauhauser neal at lists.rauhauser.net
Wed Sep 21 04:03:33 UTC 2005

 I've got SuSe 9.2 on my laptop and more and more I'm feeling like its
just a fancy skin over a Microsoft product.

 Case in point: how do you change SSID from the command line? Its not in
ifconfig like it is for BSD. There are a dozen conflicting pages found
via google and none seem to apply to my vanilla SuSe install. I searched
for 'wireless' with YaST, I installed the things I found, and they
mostly don't behave - kwifimanager is in a world of its own, and no
command line utilities seem to be included. I have vague memories of
SSID being set on install of the kernel module for the card, but that
seems to be the 'other' Aironet driver, not the one that works with my
A/B/G Aironet card.

 Yes, YaST will do it ... eventually ... but I'm not willing to wade
through menus and wait sixty seconds every time I want to change SSID -
I'm playing with multi SSID features on a Cisco AP tonight and simple
tasks should be accomplished *simply*.

 BSD, it is *so* much more difficult - ifconfig an0 ssid whatever and
you're done. Status? wicontrol for prism cards, ancontrol for Cisco.
Text  based tools, good man page, man page sends you somewhere else if
it isn't the right thing, google and there is *one* answer that is true
through time, not a plethora of competing methods that vary on a distro
by distro basis.

 SuSe feels for all the world like Windows NT 4.0 - a fine idea gone
terribly wrong in subtle ways. They're trying to cater to the legions of
Windows admins out there and they're losing most of what made Linux good
in the first place, just like Redhat did around 2000.

 I've got a spare laptop drive. FreeBSD 5.4 is going on this laptop so I
can get some work done ...