[olug] remote monitoring and remote backup server software

Matthew Platte plattem at inetnebr.com
Sat Sep 3 23:29:53 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-03 at 16:01 -0700, Eric Lusk wrote:
> I'm actually looking to start up a Linux server which
> Windows systems can back up to securely.  I'm looking
> at clients who have information which needs to remain

Yeah, me too.  Couple weeks ago I setup a Linux box with rsnapshot.  It
uses rsync, chron and some 'cp' mojo to create what appears to the user
as complete periodic backups even though it's just doing the usual full
backup + incrementals.

By putting the snapshots in Samba shares, the Windows user can have
instant access to their hourly/daily/weekly snapshot archive.  (Note:
not intended as a replacement for regular backup systems.)

It worked just fine here at home.  When I took it to the client office
for a test run it got confused.  I suspect that it had something to do
with the Winboxes being powered off during the rsnyc operation.

Testing and debugging will continue as time permits...

--
Matthew Platte

[1] http://www.rsnapshot.org