[olug] Sorta Back, and Intresting Distro

eumario at trilake.net eumario at trilake.net
Mon Oct 31 06:14:07 UTC 2005

Hello All,

I'm semi-back, so no worries to much. ;-)  My dad's still in the hospital.  He
is progressing slowly, but still progressing.  They've moved him from Intensive
Care Unit, to one of the Hospital beds, to continue keeping an eye on him.  I've
settled in at my Fiance's place, got cable internet, and such.  I'm looking for
work again, if any should be around.  Need moola to keep the bills caught up.
So anyone has anything, let me know.  Jay, ya got any work laying around?  Send
me an email, and let me know.

With all of that out of the way, I've been checking out a semi-new Distro that's
called PCLinuxOS.  It's an off-shoot of Mandrake/Mandrivia, which spouts an "Try
before you Install" Live-CD system, complete with KDE Graphical User Interface,
and a large collection of common Applications for Multimedia, Instant
Messaging, Web Browsing, Authoring, Graphical Design, and all kinds of extras.
All of them ready to access directly from the LiveCD.  It also comes with an
Install system, in which you can install directly from the Booted Partitions.
The only problems I've ran into with the system, is when you have multiple
video cards, and aren't using the system default video card (EG: if you have a
PCI External Vid Card, and a Builtin Motherboard Video Card), you have to go
through drakconf to properly setup your video card.  But from the overall looks
of the system, it looks to be a great system.

More information can be found at http://www.pclinuxos.com  If anyone else has
had experince with this Distro, please speak up.  I find it to be a good
system, and an intriguing way to setup a Linux Distro all together.

Mario Steele